Friday 26 October 2012

Review of 'Yves' Veggie Chili

Yves -- Veggie Chili (vegan)
Overall Rating: 4/5
Summary: mmm, this is a super hearty, chunky chili! It has great flavours, though I would have liked a little bit more of a spicy kick. I liked that it had a good variety of vegetables, but I was missing some of the listed ingredients (didn't see any broccoli). The nutritional profile is good other than the very, very high sodium content.

Where to buy: Fortinos



Ingredients: water, tomatoes (tomatoes, tomato puree, salt, calcium chloride, citric acid), kidney beans, onions, green peppers, carrots, broccoli, soy protein product, corn, canola oil, chili powder, spices, corn starch, garlic, evaporated cane juice, yeast, jalapeno (jalapeno peppers, water, vinegar, salt), sea salt.

Contains soy.

Not suitable for consumption by persons with an allergy to sesame seeds, milk, eggs, fish, crustaceans, shellfish, wheat, sulphites or mustard.

Nutrition Facts:
Serving size: 1 cup
Calories: 210
Fat: 4.5g
     Saturated: .5g
     Trans: 0g
Cholesterol: 0g
Sodium: 720mg
Carb: 33g
     Fibre: 11g
     Sugars: 10g
Protein: 13g
Vitamin A: 50%
Vitamin C: 25%
Calcium: 8%
Iron: 35%

So the ingredients look great but I didn't quite come across any broccoli and didn't taste the jalapenos, which was a bummer! It really wasn't spicy at all. Next time, I may add in my own pepper.

I thought one cup was a good portion, but then I was hungry half an hour later. Not cool...but that may just be my body. It does have a lovely 13g of protein and 11g of fiber, which is insanely good. It also has a generous amount of vitamins and iron. The only downside is the very high sodium content...720mg for just one serving of chili that isn't quite a full meal...that's just way too much. I was super thirsty afterwards as well.

The chili itself is delicious. It's nice and chunky and was really satisfying after coming in from the cold (I went to Winners to throw away my money!). The beans were tender and the corn, carrots and soy protein made for great textures. I love broccoli, so I was disappointed that I didn't notice any. Despite how much sodium there is, it didn't taste too salty.

I probably wouldn't regularly buy this again simply because of the sodium content, but if you're craving a great vegan chili, I'd definitely recommend this one!

Other Yves 'Quick Meals' products (all vegan):
Brand:
  • Uncertain GMO status
  • Kosher
  • Preservative-free
  • Free of artificial colours and flavours

No comments:

Post a Comment