Monday 22 October 2012

Review of 'Rhythm Superfoods' Kale Chips (Bombay Curry)

Rhythm Superfoods -- Kale Chips (Bombay Curry) (vegan)*
Overall Rating: 3.5/5
Summary: after my first time trying kale chips, I'm a fan. I really liked the light, crispy texture and the very light bitterish, unique kale taste. This particular flavour has a tartness and a hint of spiciness that I really enjoyed, but I think I'd prefer a more simple flavour (e.g. sea salt).

Where to buy: Bulk Barn; buy online

*The website lists a different nutritional profile than the one I bought. Our Canadian version is slightly different and I've listed it below.



Ingredients: organic kale, organic sunflower seeds, organic tahini, organic apple cider vinegar, organic onion powder, organic evaporated cane juice, organic lemon juice concentrate, organic carrot powder, organic spices, sea salt.

Nutrition Facts:
Serving size: 1/2 bag (28g)
Calories: 160
Calories from fat: 70
Fat: 7g
     Saturated: .5g
     Trans: 0g
Cholesterol: 0mg
Sodium: 190mg
Carb: 13g
     Fiber: 3g
     Sugars: 2g
Protein: 6g
Vitamin A: 143%
Vitamin C: 78%
Calcium: 10%
Iron: 15%

It's always nice to have a great snack that tastes great *and* delivers on nutrition! These chips are low in calories and saturated fat, have no cholesterol, and low in sugar. Furthermore, there's a solid 6g of protein, 3g fiber, a great source of vitamin A and C.

I'll admit, I was a little hesitant after taking a whiff of the chips...I got a pretty strong curry scent! But, I was pleasantly surprised -- these were nice and tart and complemented the natural bitterness of kale very well.

I'm not sure if I'd buy this again even if it goes on sale, since the bag is a whopping $6.99! And there are only 2 servings per bag. We shall see! But if you're looking to try kale chips and you're a fan of Indian flavours, this is a good choice. It's fresh, the ingredients are organic and wholesome, and the nutrition profile is impressive.

Other flavours (all vegan):
Brand:
  • Local and organic ingredients
  • GMO-free
  • All natural -- no chemicals, preservatives, chlorine, processed ingredients

No comments:

Post a Comment