Wednesday 31 October 2012

Review of 'Food for Life' Brown Rice Loaf

Food for Life -- Brown Rice Loaf (vegan)
Overall Rating: 3.5/5
Summary: This bread has a chewy, almost doughy (but in a really good way) texture with a crispy outer edge when toasted. I really like that the bread is heavy and very filling. It may actually be one of *the* most filling breads I've ever had. However, the stark nutritional profile simply doesn't do it for me -- it has 100 calories but the slices are pretty small, the sodium content is high, there are no vitamins, no calcium, no iron, and the protein and fiber content is poor. Soo although I love the texture and taste of this bread, I probably wouldn't buy it again.

Where to buy: Fortinos



Ingredients: white rice flour, brown rice flour, water, rice culture, tapioca flour, methylcellulose, organic sunflower oil, agar-agar, black strap molasses, sea salt, dextrose-dextrin fibre (grape concentrate, apple concentrate, pear concentrate, rice dextrin, carrot fiber).

*Nutrition Facts:
Serving size: 1 slice
Calories: 100
Fat: .5g
     Saturated: 0g
     Trans: 0g
Cholesterol: 0mg
Sodium: 260mg
Carb: 20g
     Fibre: 1g
     Sugars: 1g
Protein: 2g

*sigh* it's too bad the nutritional profile is so poor, otherwise I would have given this bread a 4/5. Just 1 small slice is 100 calories but only 2g of protein and 1g of fiber. That's horrible. Furthermore, there's no additional vitamins or minerals. Added to that, it's really high in sodium! Two slices would give you 520mg! And that's without your favourite spread :/ Not cool. These calories are empty.

I won't be buying this again, but I really enjoyed it while I had it! I was tentative at first because gluten-free breads haven't impressed me often, but I really liked the uniqueness of this bread. My favourite part was exactly what my brother hated about it -- it was chewy/doughy, unlike your typical bread. It also didn't have that signature 'toast' colour after I toasted it (it remained white), so I think this turned him off before he even tasted it. For people who aren't adventurous and for those who dislike doughyness, this bread....is not for you.

I also liked the subtle flavour -- it wasn't overtly salty or sweet, making it good for my favourite spreads (e.g. avocado, peanut butter and banana slices, and hummus). I'd recommend it for a try, just 'cause it's a yummy and interesting bread. I wouldn't recommend making this a regular in your fridge though, simply because there are more nutritious gluten-free breads available.

I would definitely buy other Food for Life products because I'm a fan of the brand and it's philosophy of natural and wholesome ingredients.

Other 'Gluten-Free' breads (all vegan):
Brand:
  • Most ingredients are certified organic
  • Diet-specific products are certified
  • Sprouted grains are used in most products
  • All products are certified kosher
  • No GMOs
  • Nothing artificial (preservatives, shortenings, refined sugars)

No comments:

Post a Comment