Sunday 28 October 2012

Review of 'Camino' Orange Dark Chocolate

Camino -- Orange Dark Chocolate (vegan)
Overall Rating: 3.5/5
Summary: This has a very bitter taste and the orange flavour is intense. Lovers of dark chocolate and orange will be elated! Personally, I'm not a citrus fan, so I wasn't overly impressed. The texture is smooth and it is a pretty creamy chew. There's a good snap when you bite into it but it's not too crumbly. I used most of the bar for a frosting and I'd buy this again (only on sale!) for baking because the Camino brand is just aweome!

Where to buy: Bulk Barn, Fortinos, Metro, Real Canadian Superstore, Longos


Ingredients: cacao mass*, golden cane sugar*, cacao butter*, whole cane sugar*, orange essence, ground vanilla beans*.
*FAIRTRADE CERTIFIED.

Nutrition Facts:
Serving size: 40g
Calories: 220
Fat: 16g
     Saturated: 10g
     Trans: 0g
Cholesterol: 0mg
Sodium: 0mg
Carb: 20g
     Fibre: 4g
     Sugars: 13g
Protein: 3g
Calcium: 2%
Iron: 45%

Although high in calories, this is a great source of fibre, protein and iron and I loved baking with this chocolate. Desserts are my weakness, so when I find ingredients that actually have clean ingredients and good nutrition, it makes me feel way less guilty about stuffing my face!

I melted this bar with coconut milk and used it to make a frosting for a very sweet brownie cake I baked. The bitterness balanced out the intense sweetness of the cake...perfect combination!

Check out recipes from the website here. Some include Tiramisu, Banana Bread, and various cookies.

Other flavours:
 Brand (quoted from lasiembra.com):
  • Certified organic
  • Fairtrade certified
  • A Canadian co-op
  • "... first registered importers of Fairtrade Certified cocoa and sugar in North America."
  • Many awards
  • Many vegan and kosher products
  • Works with family farmers
  • Environmentally committed

No comments:

Post a Comment