Thursday 25 October 2012

Review of 'Levant Mediterranean Snack Foods' All Natural Falafel Chips

Levant Mediterranean Snack Foods -- All Natural Falafel Chips
Overall Rating: 2.5/5
Summary: I liked the seasoning of these chips but I found that the chips were too lightly dressed. The flavour lasts for just a few chews, until all I could taste was the bare flour mix. Also, the serving size to calorie ratio wasn't the greatest. Very 'meh'.

Where to buy: Bulk Barn, Rabba, Sobey's

http://www.levantsnacks.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/bag-chips.png
Ingredients: Levant Flour Blend (Corn, Garbanzo, Fava and Rice Flours), Expeller Pressed High Oleic Sunflower Oil (and/or Safflower, Cottonseed, Canola, Corn Oil), Spices, Dehydrated Parsley and Onion and Lightly Seasoned With A Blend of Sea Salt, Spices, Honey Powder (Maltodextrin, Honey), Dehydrated Parsley and Onion, Natural Flavor, Yeast Extract.

Nutrition Facts:
Serving size: about 10 chips/28g
Calories: 150
Calories from fat: 70
Total fat: 8g
     Saturated fat: .5g
     Trans: 0g
Cholesterol: 0mg
Sodium: 70mg
Total Carb: 17g
     Dietary fiber: 3g
     Sugars: 0g
Protein: 2g
Vitamin A: 4%
Iron: 6%

These falafel chips have a decent nutritional profile, but nothing too impressive. I'm appreciative of the 0 cholesterol, low sodium, and fiber content. However, the calories for just 10 chips isn't that great. I definitely have more than 10 chips when I'm snacking! Especially if I'm sitting in front of the TV.

So on it's own, these chips lacked in seasoning. If eaten with a nicely flavoured hummus, it's definitely better.

I won't be buying these chips again. The flavour just isn't impactful. I normally buy chips that can stand on their own, in addition to being used with dips. Also, there's nothing great about the company that moves me to support them, so I'll pass on Levant.

Brand:
  • Because of their bare bones website, there are no interesting facts to report :/

No comments:

Post a Comment