Monday 29 October 2012

Review of 'Nature's Harvest' Dry Roasted Edamame (with Sea Salt)

Nature's Harvest -- Dry Roasted Edamame (with Sea Salt)
Overall Rating: 3.5/5
Summary: These are really crunchy and nicely salted (not overly salty at all). I love that the ingredients are kept at a minimum (only 3!), but I did not that it's a product of China and that scares me when thinking about the source of the soy and whether or not they are non-GMO. I find it more suspicious that I couldn't find this product on the distributor's (Amport Foods) website, so I really have no information. If not for this information gap, I would have given a solid 4/5.

Where to buy: Whole Foods, Wal-mart, online from LexaLu.com.



Ingredients: dry roasted green soybeans, soybean oil, sea salt.

Nutrition Facts:
Serving size: 1/4 cup
Calories: 150
     Calories from fat: 45
Total fat: 5g
     Saturated: .5g
     Trans:0g
Cholesterol: 0mg
Sodium: 190mg
Total Carb: 16g
     Dietary fiber: 5g
     Sugars: 0g
Protein: 11g
Calcium: 6%
Iron: 15%

This has a great, great nutritional profile. I only wish I had more background info on this company. The portion size is actually good because the beans are quite filling. There's a reasonable amount of calories and 11 grams of protein....eleven!!! Also...five grams of fiber. You just don't find that often in a snack food that's delicious. It's also low in saturated fat and good on sodium.

The texture: each bean is perfectly roasted and salted. It seems it's so tough to find a product that perfectly salted...I find that my major issue with snack foods is that they have way too much salt (e.g. some Kettle Brand Chips flavours).

I wouldn't buy this product again simply because I know absolutely nothing about the brand or its ingredients. I also won't recommend it for this reason. I'll try to find an alternative brand of roasted edamame.

Brand:
  •  It's a mystery!

No comments:

Post a Comment