Tuesday 23 October 2012

Review of 'Pacific Foods' Creamy Butternut Squash Soup

Pacific Foods -- Creamy Butternut Squash Soup (vegan)
Overall Rating: 1.5/5
Summary: nope. There's something not quite right about this soup. It seems like it should have been a sweet soup but that it was accidentally made salty! It also tasted raw...like I was just chomping on raw butternut squash. On the positive side, the texture was nice and creamy -- very smooth. The serving size is good and it was filling but the raw taste and flavour was a big miss. I wanted to like this because the brand is so very impressive, but I won't be buying this flavour again.

Where to buy: Fortinos



Ingredients: BUTTERNUT PUREE*, FILTERED WATER, SOYMILK* (FILTERED WATER, SOYBEANS*), CANE SUGAR*, SEA SALT, EXPELLER PRESSED CANOLA OIL*, RICE FLOUR*, NATURAL FLAVOR, ONION POWDER*, GARLIC POWDER*, GINGER*, NUTMEG*, CINNAMON*.
*ORGANIC

Nutrition Facts:
Serving size: 1 cup
Calories: 90
Calories from fat: 20
Total fat: 2g
     Saturated fat: 0g
     Trans fat: 0g
Cholesterol: 0mg
Sodium: 550mg
Total Carb: 17g
     Dietary fiber: 3g
     Sugars: 4g
Protein: 2g
Vitamin A: 50%
Vitamin C: 4%
Calcium: 4%
Iron: 4%

Because I was so impressed by the ingredients, I had such high hopes for this soup (especially with the new cold weather). To its credit, the nutritional profile is really good! It's low-calorie and provides a healthy dose of vitamin A and fiber (which I occasionally lack). However, the sodium content is very high (550mg) and if you're having this before a meal as a starter, your entire meal is going to have a whopping sodium level!!

I really liked the texture of this soup. It was perfectly thick, creamy, and smooth. The flavour was....just...no. It just wasn't my style. I definitely would not have gone with the salty option and expected a sweet butternut squash flavour. What's more, it didn't taste cooked. The butternut squash flavour was potent, but it was completely a raw flavour (as if the soup wasn't actually cooked). I'm not against raw foods (in fact, I enjoy every raw recipe I've ever made), but this one just didn't work for me.

Needless to say, I wouldn't buy this again...nor would I recommend it.

Other flavours:
Brand (quoted from pacificfoods.com):
  • All natural and organic
  • Certified to the Source
  • "At our founder's family farms that supply Pacific Natural Foods the milk for our delicious creamy soups, you'll find healthy cows fed an organic, vegetarian diet with room to roam in open pasture."
  • Cows are fed 100% an organic, vegetarian die, not given antibiotics or synthetic hormones, and reared humanely and under stress-free environments
  •  Awarded for sustainability initiatives
  • Engaged in Wetlands Conservation
  • Top donor to the Oregon Food Bank
  • Supports local community

No comments:

Post a Comment