Thursday 4 October 2012

Restaurant Review: 168 Sushi Buffet

Restaurant: 168 Sushi Buffet
Overall Rating: 3/5
Summary: ghetto interior, good food (for a non-authentic Japanese restaurant), and good service. The service was speedy and the staff were very attentive and polite.
Price: $14.95 for the weekend lunch buffet
Payment Methods: Visa, MasterCard, Cash
Delivery: Yes, within the Brampton area – Free delivery on orders over $25 (before tax)
Take Out: Yes, 10% discount on pickup orders (cash only)
Menu


Food/items ordered:
  • Seaweed salad: I have yet to try a seaweed salad that I didn't like. This one was slightly less sweet than most.
  • Tofu pocket: one of my favourite items here; sweet, juicy outer tofu shell with a rice filling
  • Edamame: comes salted; a little less tasty/fresh than I'm used to
  • Steamed vegetable dumplings: as a lover of all things chewy and doughy, I'm a huge fan of these, they are filled with green peas and carrots
  • Avocado rolls: as a huge avocado fan, I have yet to be disappointed by any avocado roll, though I will say that I've had fresher avocado rolls
  • Sweet potato roll: pretty average, not as rich and sweet as I've had 
  • Banana tempura: pretty good flavour but the bananas should have been riper and more syrup would have been better; the texture was bang on (perfectly crunchy tempura)
Just remember, it is what it is. It's Brampton, it's $14.95 for a weekend buffet, and it's all-you-can-eat Japanese (not authentic). So, if you're looking for a quick Japanese option in Brampton, here's an average place with good food if you can stand the decor. I'm not too picky with that as long as the food is good!

Comparable Japanese restaurants in Brampton:
Service: I like the freedom and privacy provided by the order sheets, and the staff were on the ball with clearing our table and staying on top of our orders. Every member of the staff that waited on us were very polite and attentive.

Atmosphere/decor:
  • Poor decor: not modern; dull lighting that feels more ghetto than romantic or cozy; looks very old and unappealing
  • There are booths, tables, and private rooms available
  • The private room smelled really bad (like cockroaches!) and the pillows provided for customers to sit on felt and looked dirty and gritty

2 comments:

  1. I have heard that alot of tempura batters contain eggs. Is this something you asked your server about. And how much were they willing to help you find something on the menu/ "is this vegan?".

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Kate,

    Apologies for the delayed response. Actually, you raise a good point about tempura batters. I have not inquired, but I do personally stay away from tempura. This is something I will raise the next time I visit! If you do, please share the outcome!

    ReplyDelete