Tuesday 23 October 2012

Review of 'Luna Bar' Chocolate Peppermint Stick

Luna -- Chocolate Peppermint Stick (vegan)
Overall Rating: 3.5/5
Summary: I'm normally adverse to all things minty in my sweet eats, but I actually enjoyed this cool, minty bar. The soy crisps made for a light, airy texture, yet it was still as filling as denser bars. I'd recommend this for pro-minty eaters :) And of course, typical of Luna, the nutritional profile is great!

Where to buy: Bulk Barn
Chocolate Peppermint Stick

(Image source: Live Laugh Eat)

Ingredients: LunaPro ® (Cocoa Soy Rice Crisps Soy Protein Isolate, Organic Rice Flour, Organic Alkalized Cocoa, Alkalized Cocoa], Organic Toasted Oats [Organic Rolled Oats, Organic Dried Cane Syrup], Organic Roasted Soybeans, Organic Soy Flour, Organic Flaxmeal), Organic Brown Rice Syrup, Coating (Organic Dried Cane Syrup, Palm Kernel Oil, Organic Palm Kernel Oil, Organic Soy Flour, Organic Soy Lecithin, Organic Vanilla), Inulin (Chicory Extract), Vegetable Glycerin, Chocolate Cookies (Organic Oat Flour, Organic Dried Cane Syrup, Sunflower Oil, Cocoa, Unsweetened Chocolate, Salt, Baking Soda, Soy Lecithin), Organic Cocoa, Organic Unsweetened Chocolate, Organic Sunflower Oil, Peppermint Candy (Dried Cane Syrup, Colored with Beet Powder, Natural Flavors, Carnauba Wax), Natural Flavors, Sea Salt.

Nutrition Facts:*
Serving size: 1 bar
Calories: 180
Calories from fat: 45
Total fat: 5g
     Saturated fat: 2.5g
     Trans: 0g
Cholesterol: 0mg
Sodium: 120mg
Potassium: 115mg
Total Carb: 28g
     Dietary fiber: 4g
          Insoluble fiber: 1g
     Sugars: 12g
     Other Carb: 12g
Protein: 8g
Vitamin A: 20%
Vitamin C: 20%
Calcium: 35%
Iron: 30%

* Full nutritional profile available here.

 Organic ingredients, natural sweeteners, low-calorie, and super nutritious! I love the 8g of protein and 4g of fiber goin on here and I had this for a post-workout snack today (I did a solid 45 minutes of strength training after 3 days of being lazy!). I also normally have problems meeting my calcium needs, so the 35% boost was great! It means I don't have to swallow my giant calcium horse pills today -- YAY!

As I was sitting in Fortinos with a cup of hot tea just freezing my bum off, the smell of this bar just gave my awesome Christmas-y feelings! I could picture candy canes on the Christmas tree! But onto the bar itself -- the mint layer over the chocolate bar wasn't at all too minty or overpowering. I suggest having a tea after or during eating this bar to fully appreciate the cool, minty-ness -- this was my favourite part. It was very refreshing.

I do still prefer a denser, chewier bar than this lighter, airier, and crispier bar. Still, it kept my going for a couple of hours, so it does the job. Flavour-wise, my sweet mouth still would prefer the Caramel Nut Brownie Luna bar I had several weeks ago.

Other flavours:
Brand (quoted from clifbar.com):
  • "...free of trans fats, hydrogenated oils, high fructose corn syrup; artificial sweeteners, flavors or preservatives; and ingredients sourced from GMOs."
  • "LUNA provides the nutrients women often lack, like folic acid, calcium, iron, vitamin D and other vitamins and minerals..."
  • "LUNA contributes to the Clif Bar Family Foundation, which donates 1% of all product revenue to organizations that support and improve environmental, social and cultural needs, from our local to our global community. 
  • Non-GMO
  • Clif Bar Family Foundation
  • Commitment to Zero Waste
  • Climate Action Approach
  • Partnerships with American Forests and Trees for the Future
  • Organic farming strategy
  • Certified Sustainable
  • Community involvement (e.g. collaboration with other businesses, volunteering, sharing products, philanthropy)

1 comment:

  1. Fantastic Post! Lot of information is helpful in some or the other way. Keep updating organic peppermint

    ReplyDelete