Thursday 1 November 2012

Review of Amy's Brown Rice and Vegetables Bowl

Amy's -- Brown Rice and Vegetables Bowl (vegan)
Overall Rating: 3.5/5
Summary: This bowl was flavourful and I enjoyed the spices. I did find the rice overcooked and a little mushy. I expected the typical chewy texture of brown rice. It was a very heart bowl! There was a generous amount of veggies, but they weren't quite as crispy (e.g. the broccoli) as the last Amy's Teriyaki Bowl I had. I liked the firmness of the tofu and everything was perfectly salted for my tastes. This was a very filling bowl and is a great low-calorie, high-nutrient meal.

Where to buy: Metro, Fortinos

Brown Rice & Vegetables Bowl

Ingredients: organic short grain brown rice, organic onions, mushrooms, organic broccoli, organic carrots, organic tofu (filtered water, organic soybeans, nigari [magnesium chloride, a natural firming agent]), organic spinach, organic celery, organic extra virgin olive oil, spices*, organic sesame tahini, organic apple cider vinegar, sea salt, organic tamari (wheat free), ume plum vinegar, grain vinegar, expeller pressed high oleic safflower oil, ground mustard seeds, organic garlic.  
Contains soy and sesame seeds.100% pure herbs & spices (no hidden ingredients)
87% organic

Nutrition Facts:
Serving size: 1 container
Calories: 260
     Calories from fat: 80
Total fat: 9g
     Saturated fat: 1g
     Trans: 0g
Cholesterol: 0mg
Sodium: 550mg
Carbs: 36g
     Fiber: 5g
     Sugars: 7g
Protein: 9g
Vitamin A: 100%
Vitamin C: 35%
Calcium: 8%
Iron: 10%

Read those ingredients. See why Amy's is the shit? Do you see? It's a fantastic company. Buy their products. This meal is nicely portioned for 260 calories. And these 260 cals are packed with nutrition. It's low in saturated fat, has 0 cholesterol, and not overly high in sodium like other frozen entrees. It has a healthy 9g of protein and 5g of fiber AND a ton of vitamin A and C. I had this as a post-workout meal today (after a 29g protein shake, of course).

Onto the taste and texture: I did really miss the chewiness of the brown rice that I enjoyed in the last Amy's bowl (Teriyaki). The rice was just too soft for my liking. I really liked the red onions -- it had a strong presence and just complemented the spices really well. I could have used more carrots or at least bigger chunks of them. The same goes for the spinach. I felt that these got a little bit lost.

Sure, I'd recommend this bowl. However, if you're trying Amy's for the first time, I'd opt for the Teriyaki bowl (you can read the review here).

I'm pretty pumped to try the Brown Rice, Black-Eyed Peas & Veggies Bowl! I love black-eyed peas.

Other Amy's Bowls:
Brand (quoted from amys.com):
  • Family business since 1987
  • "We purchase high quality pastas, grains, beans and hormone free dairy from cows that are pasture raised."
  • Local, organic ingredients
  • Made from scratch
  • "We do not purchase or use any genetically modified or engineered ingredients..."
  • No BPA in cans
  • No MSG added

No comments:

Post a Comment