Wednesday 7 November 2012

Review of 'Waterbridge' Fine Swiss Dark Chocolate

Waterbridge -- Fine Swiss Dark Chocolate (vegan)
Overall Rating: 4/5
Summary: despite the high sugar content, you can still get a good taste of the darkness of the chocolate. It's really perfectly sweetened and not bitter. The chocolate is not overly hard, brittle, or crumbly like other non-dairy bars, which I was thankful for. Each square was a creamy mouthful of chocolatey goodness. I can tell that this will make a delicious chocolate frosting :) I'd definitely buy it again.

Where to buy: Sears, well.ca

This picture represents the 300g which apparently has dairy, but I bought the 100g bar and it has no dairy.

Ingredients: sugar, cocoa mass, cocoa butter, soy lecithin, flavour.

Nutrition Facts:
Serving size: 6 pieces
Calories: 205
Fat: 12g
     Saturated: 7g
     Trans: 0g
Cholesterol: 0mg
Sodium: 5mg
Carb: 21g
     Fibre: 3g
     Sugars: 19g
Protein: 2g
Calcium: 2%
Iron: 40%

I'd recommend this bar, but I'm bummed out that I'm not 100% certain where I bought it. I'm 99% sure it was from Sears. The Waterbridge bars you can buy at well.ca contain milk ingredients, so is not vegan-friendly.

Other Waterbridge bars:
Brand:
  • Can't find anything of note on the brand

5 comments:

  1. Thank-you for the feedback Bob. I'm a chocolate fanatic in general, so I enjoyed reading your 'Chocolate Chip Butterscotch Bars' recipe. The ingredients are very simple and I think I could make a solid attempt at making it, despite being relatively new to the baking world. I look forward to more chocolatey reads from you :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Waterbridge Extra Dark 74% is the best I've ever tried.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh yeah? I have a bar of Extra Dark 74% waiting for my attention :) I'll be sure to write a review for it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have a large bar of the Waterbridge extra dark 74% which is absolutely delicious but there are a few things I must mention. First, if you eat dark chocolate for the health benefits like myself, I am afraid to say that Waterbridge just does not make the cut. The ingredients list states sugar as the second ingredient, this not being a good sign. As well, it does not mention that the chocolate is not processed with alkali (dutching), therefore leading me to believe that it is. This greatly reduces the amount of beneficial flavanols. The small squares are just over 40 calories a piece which is about double that of the healthier chocolates. All in all the product is delicious, although it does not benefit you in the way that some of the other dark chocolates do.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Michael,

    Agreed. This definitely would not make the cut for a delicious AND top-tier nutritious option. I do enjoy the health benefits of chocolate, but must confess to eating it largely for satisfying my sweet tooth.

    Consequently, many of the chocolates I rank well are simply ranked so based on flavour, sweetness, and absence of particularly nasty ingredients (e.g. artificial ingredients, modified ingredients, etc.

    I am happy that you have added this layer of analysis for those readers who are more health conscious. Thank-you!

    ReplyDelete