Monday 5 November 2012

Review of 'Noble Bean' 3 Grain Tempeh

Noble Bean -- 3 Grain Tempeh (vegan)
Overall rating: 4.5/5
Summary: wow, this really is a power food and I love that's the flavour is versatile so that cooking with it would be really great! It tastes great unseasoned as well! I actually tried it baked and unseasoned for my first time (with a side of French's Spicy Brown Mustard) and I reallly enjoyed it as a post-workout meal. The flavour was nutty and fresh, with a great ricey texture. You can't beat the nutritional profile of this product either. Furthermore, the brand is awesome -- all certified organic tempeh!

Where to buy: Wanigan

3 Grain tempeh package

Ingredients:soybeans*, barley*,millet* and rice*, deep well water and rhizopus culture.
*Certified organic.

Nutritional profile:
Serving size: 100g
Calories: 210
Total fat: 9g
     Saturated fat: 2.5g
     Trans: 0g
Cholesterol: 0g
Sodium: 30mg
Potassium: 380mg
Total carbs: 15g
     Dietary fiber: 9g
     Sugars: 2g
Protein: 17g
Vitamin C: 2%
Calcium: 20%
Iron: 40%

Wow, why haven't I included tempeh in my diet before??? It's packed with fiber and protein and it's super lean and clean. There's minimal sodium, no cholesterol, and a whopping 20% calcium and 40% iron! I'm sold.

Wondering what Tempeh is? Here's a quick description from the Noble Bean website:
Tempeh is a cultured, traditional Indonesian food made from soybeans. The process of fermentation, which gives us cheese, yogourt and bread, is what gives tempeh its good flavour, sliceable texture and great nutritional properties.
I will definitely be buying this again because it's a great source of protein and fiber for my post-workout meals. Also, I can already envision the different ways I can prepare it, so I'm pretty excited! It's also very flavourful on it's own...it's nutty, fresh,and I really enjoy the texture (rice, barley, millet, soy). On its own, there's a hint of a bitterish taste on the outer layer that was actually quite nice!

 The website has a little section for recipes that you can check out.

Other Tempeh products:
  • Soy Tempeh
  • Sea Veggie Tempeh
  • Quinoa Sesame Tempeh
  • Tempeh Burgers
Brand:
  • Canadian :)
  • All certified organic
  • Fresh frozen/not pasturized
  • Certified kosher

No comments:

Post a Comment