Tuesday 13 November 2012

Review of 'Vega' Recover Performance Protein (Chocolate)

Vega -- Recover Performance Protein (Chocolate) (vegan)
Overall Rating: 5/5 4.5/5 (reassessed in light of a high sodium content)
Summary: I've had this protein powder in so many different ways with so many ingredients and it has been delicious each and every time. I honestly have zero complaints and I've been using it for roughly one year. I'd recommend this product for those looking for a vegan and non-soy based protein powder for their post-workout recovery protein. It isn't grainy, doesn't have any weird or artificial aftertastes. Instead, it's a really fresh, clean blend that has made me a perfect shake each time. The only issue is the 520mg of sodium per scoop!

Where to buy: Fortinos, Sobeys, GNC,Village Health Food, S & H Health Foods, Village Pharmacy, Vega e-store

Performance Protein

*Ingredients: yellow pea protein, saviseed sacha inchi protein, sprouted whole grain brown rice protein, hemp protein, alfalfa protein, cocoa powder, natural chocolate flavors, stevia extract, sodium chloride.

*Full ingredient list available here.

Nutrition Facts
Serving size: 1 scoop
Calories: 120
     Calories from fat: 10
Total fat: 1g
     Saturated: .5g
Total Carb: 6g
     Dietary fiber: 2g
     Sugars: <1g
Protein: 26g
Sodium: 520mg

For a mere 120 calories, you could get a whopping 26g of complete protein, along with a host of other nutritional benefits. I encourage you to check out the website -- it's a great, well-rounded product!

My typical Vega shake recipe:
  • 3/4 cup water
  • 1/4 -- 1/2 cup non-dairy milk
  • 1 cup of any fruit(s)
This formula is simple and makes for a perfectly sweet and fresh shake after my morning workouts. I've used the following fruits with success: mangoes, watermelon, cantaloupe, blueberries, raspberries, strawberries, blackberries, and bananas.

I just thought of a new one!...bananas...*and* peanut butter heehee I can't wait to try that! With a little extra milk for creaminess, this will be divine and I know it.

Please check out this brand. Even if you're not a vegan, it's just a great company to support.

Other 'Recover' products:
Brand (quoted from vegasport.com):
  • Ecologically- and socially-minded
  • "Ingredients are sourced as locally as possible, efficiently grown, minimally processed, non GMO and organic and raw where available."
  • "Vega’s head office is 100% wind-powered (via Bullfrog Power) and our building also features sustainable and energy-efficient materials such as daylight sensor light fixtures, earth-friendly recycled modular carpet system, rapidly renewable bamboo floors and low-emissivity glass windows."
  • Sustainability Initiatives
  • Community Initiatives (e.g. athlete sponsorship, support of activist organizations, support vegan and vegetarian societies, support and partner with eco-friendly events and groups)
  • A host of other great information is available at myvega.com. Please check it out.

2 comments:

  1. I always like your blog post because you always comes with different ideas and information. I always shared your site post with my friends. Keep posting and i will follow you.where can i get green tea powder

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always like your blog post because you always comes with different ideas and information. I always shared your site post with my friends. Keep posting and i will follow you.
    where can i get green tea powder

    ReplyDelete