Thursday 8 November 2012

Review of Rudolph's Bavarian Multigrain Bread

Rudolph's Bavarian Multigrain Bread
Overall Rating: 4/5
Summary: The flavour and texture of this bread is perfect and I have no complaints. The bread is soft and pillowy -- surprising for a healthy multigrain bread. It's nice and crisp when toasted and the slices are very large. It has a lightly salted taste with a very warm flavour. I noted that there may be some health concerns regarding the 'calcium propionate' preservative added to this bread and motivates me to opt for preservative-free brands like Stonemill (reviewed here) and ACE Bakery (reviewed here).

Where to buy: Freshco, Metro, No Frills

Ingredients: water, unbleached wheat flour, whole wheat flour, cracked whole wheat, organic sour (organic rye, water and culture), whole rye seed, whole rolled oats, coarse whole rye grain, sunflower seed, flax seed, sesame seed, organic salt, yeast, calcium propionate (a preservative), rolled in sesame, flax and sunflower seed.

Note: the website's list of ingredients is vegan, however I checked our label at home and it included 'whey'! So...perhaps the website doesn't have the updated recipe, which is NOT vegan.

Nutrition Facts
Serving size: 1 slice
Calories: 110
Fat: 2g
     Saturated: .2g
     Trans: 0g
     Polyunsaturated: .4g
          Omega-6: .2g
          Omega-3: .3g
     Monounsaturated: .1g
Cholesterol: 0g
Sodium: 150mg
Potassium: 10mg
Carb: 18g
     Fibre: 2g
     Sugar: 0g
Protein: 4g
Calcium: 2%
Iron: 10%

To be honest, this bread is a staple in our household, yet I never noticed the preservative until writing this blog entry today! Tsk tsk. Although the evidence isn't conclusive on the ingredient, I would prefer to stay away from it.

The nutritional profile is pretty awesome though...I really wish they'd remove that dang preservative. The slices are quite large and totally worth the 110 cals. It has great, healthy fats and is low in saturated fat and sodium.

Rudolph does have other breads that are preservative free that I'm keen on trying.

Other Rudolph breads (these 'vegan' labels may be outdated, so be sure to read the list of ingredients):
Brand:
  • Meh, nothing very impressive to report. Better off buying Stonemill or ACE Bakery Breads, I say.

4 comments:

  1. I just noticed it today, as well, and wondered why they need it at all (since it's at the end of the ingredient list). It is a staple in my home. I love it. I will be writing to them to ask them about removing it. Seriously, it's like businesses can't make anything without animal suffering involved. It's bread, for crying out loud! :p

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes...it's so unfortunate! Bread absolutely does not need to have dairy. And, they open themselves up to a broader consumer base by eliminating dairy. I'd be interested in hearing their response to your inquiry!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The label says it contains milk

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like rye bread in general but find that this one feels in my mouth as if it was raw dough i.e. not completely baked? Is this how it is supposed to be for sourdough bread?

    ReplyDelete