Friday 28 December 2012

Review of 'Wholesome Goodness' Mountain Trail Mix

Wholesome Goodness -- Mountain Trail Mix (vegan, gluten-free)
Overall Rating: 3/5
Summary: well, the raisins were fresh and juicy and the chocolate (2 pieces in total...boo!) was sweet and soft. Unfortunately, I found that the nuts were not very fresh and crunchy. Also, I found that there were way more sunflower seeds than the nuts. I would have liked more of a balance. I think they would have been better off not adding sugar, since the raisins were sweet enough on their own. I wasn't very impressed and I wouldn't buy this again -- it's not worth the 270 calories.

Where to buy: Walmart Supercenter, US store locator
Mountain Trail Mix
Ingredients: Raisins, Peanuts, Almonds, Sunflower Kernels, Sugar, Chocolate Liquor, Cocoa Butter, Soy Lecithin (an Emulsifier), Sea Salt, Vanilla Extract.

Nutritional Information
Serving size: 1/2 cup
Calories: 270
Fat: 17g
     Saturated: 3g
     Trans: 0g
Cholesterol: 0mg
Sodium: 95mg
Carbohydrate: 21g
     Fiber: 4g
     Sugars: 13g
Protein: 8g
Calcium: 6%
Iron: 10%

So the ingredients aren't bad at all, aside from the added sugar, which wasn't needed at all in my opinion. However, I didn't find any GMO info on the website regarding the corn-based and soybean-based ingredients (used in similar Wholesome Goodness products) that the company uses, so I'm a bit skeptical of the brand.

For half a cup, you get 270 calories of average tasting mixed fruit and nuts. It does offer healthy fats though! And it is a good source of fiber and protein. However, at 270 calories, don't you want to enjoy your snack??? I'd much rather just have plain roasted almonds, add my own raisins, and whatever else I fancy. It would have been wayyyy yummier and with less sugar!

Check out their recipe page here.

Other 'Dried Fruit and Nuts' products:
Brand:
  • Kosher certified
  • Claims to be nutritionally-mindful, though I have found the following ingredients in their products: modified palm kernel oil (a source of trans fats; read more about it here); corn syrup (unspecified GMO status), soybean products (unspecified GMO status)

No comments:

Post a Comment