Sunday 9 December 2012

Review of `Stonemill` Fibre & Fruit (Cranberry Pumpkin Seed)

Stonemill -- Fibre & Fruit (Cranberry Pumpkin Seed) (vegan)
Overall Rating: 3.5/5
Summary: Very nice crisp after toasting. I had it with almond butter and wow...so good! The pumpkin seed crust gives it a nice crunch to the texture and nothing really beats the flavour of pumpkin seed. I would have liked to get bits of sweet cranberries, but I may have to have the bread alone to get that. That was a bummer--I expected brightly flavoured, tart-sweet bits of cranberries. I would have also preferred complete whole grain flour ingredients, no added sugars, and I`m wondering about the GMO status of the corn meal. Oh yeah, and it`s pretty high in calories compared to other flavours, so altogether, I wouldn`t buy this one again.

Where to buy: Fortinos, Metro, Sobeys, Costco, Wal-Mart, Longos

Cranberry Pumpkin Seed Bread

Ingredients: unbleached wheat flour, water, whole grains (whole and ground brown flax seeds, sunflower seeds, organic whole grain rye flour, pumpkin seeds), sweetened dried cranberries (dried cranberries, sugar, sunflower oil), raisin juice concentrate, sea salt, wheat bran, corn meal, yeast, organic sourdough (organic whole grain rye flour, water, bacterial culture). [3420-051310]

Nutrition Facts
Serving size: 2 slices
Calories: 170
Fat: 6g
     Saturated: .5g
     Trans: 0g
Cholesterol: 0mg
Sodium: 180mg
Carbohydrate: 25g
     Fiber: 4g
     Sugar: 5g
Protein:6g
Calcium: 2%
Iron: 15%

I would have preferred a bread based on 100% whole grains for a denser texture and more filling bread. I'm not thrilled that there's added sugar, especially since there are so many sweeteners to choose from these days (e.g. fruit juices, agave, honey, and other syrups). Because of the sugar, this is not diabetic-friendly.

The nutritional profile is okay...the calories are way too high for my liking, especially because the flavour isn't anything special. So, there's really no compensation there. It is low in saturated fat, cholesterol-free, and isn't too high in sodium. Great! I also like the 6g of protein and 4g of fiber isn't too shabby. Still, overall, I'm not a big fan of this particular bread.

Ahh I do love the end pieces, though! It gives that heavy, hearty substance that I like in my breads.

Other Fibre & Fruit breads:
Brand (stonemillbakehouse.com):
  • 100% natural ingredients - with no preservatives and additives
  •  Baked with 100% Green Power
  • 8–point climate solution action plan
  • "Stonemill is actively seeking partnerships with Ontario farmers to source locally grown ingredients and to grow grain according to Stonemill specification through low impact and transitional farming."
  • "Whenever possible, Stonemill is using raw ingredients that are grown in Ontario."
  • "Over the past year Stonemill has reduced its electrical consumption by over 12 per cent."
  • "Stonemill’s cleaning products are all phosphate–free.

No comments:

Post a Comment