Tuesday 4 December 2012

Review of 'Blue Diamond Almonds' Almond Breeze Original (Unsweetened)

Almond Breeze -- Original (Unsweetened) (vegan)
Overall Rating: 4/5
Summary: This milk has a neutral taste and is best for making shakes, cereals and teas/coffees. It's not one I'd personally prefer have on its own because it's unsweetened. I use it in baking to melt chocolate and create sauces and as a dairy milk substitution. It's a hit in my baking activities. It's got a smooth and thin texture and a very clean, simple taste. It is refreshing as a stand-alone beverage, but my sweet tooth is demanding! I'd recommend this product for its great ingredients, clean taste, and versatility.

Where to buy: Freshco, Fortinos, Sobeys, Bulk Barn

Almond Breeze® Original - Unsweetened

Ingredients: filtered water, almonds, tapioca starch, calcium carbonate, sea salt, potassium citrate, carrageenan, sunflower lecithin and natural flavour.

Nutrition Facts
Serving size: 1 cup
Calories: 40
Fat: 3.5g
     Saturated: .3g
     Trans: 0g
Cholesterol: 0mg
Sodium: 180mg
Potassium: 190mg
Carbohydrate: 2g
     Fiber: 1g
     Sugars: 0g
Protein: 1g
Calcium: 30%
Iron: 4%
Vitamin E: 15%
Phosphorus: 2%
Magnesium: 8%

The ingredients are simple, minimal, and free of GMOs and all things artificial. This alone scores this milk some big points. It's super low-calorie, low in saturated fat *and* carbs, and has no cholesterol. I'm not a big fan of the sodium content because I tend to get more than enough sodium in my diet (like most of us), but this means I just have to monitor myself a little bit more.

Although it's low in fiber and protein, it does make up for this in calcium and vitamin E and my body can always use a bit more calcium (I'm getting old!...yeah yeah, aren't we all).

I give this 2 thumbs up, especially for diabetics  (0g of sugars).

Other 'Almond Breeze' flavours (all vegan):
Brand:
  • Soy-free
  • No MSG
  • Non-GMO
  • All refrigerated products are kosher
  • Gluten-free
  • No artificial flavours
  • No BPA in packaging
  • Almonds are grown by a growers cooperative

No comments:

Post a Comment