Friday 21 December 2012

Review of 'So Good' Vanilla

So Good -- Vanilla (vegan, gluten-free)
Overall Rating: 3/5
Summary: mmm, this is a really well-sweetened soy milk. I enjoyed every bit of it! The texture is smooth and not at all grainy. There's no hint of soy flavour that I could detect. Instead, the hint of vanilla was the star. I love half a cup of this in my cereal. If I were ranking simply based on taste, I'd give it a 4.5/5. The nutritionals are good but I'm not sure that *all* the ingredients are non-GMO (e.g. corn-based ingredients are not marked non-GMO on the website). Until I could be certain, I probably won't be buying this again, nor would I recommend it. Also, 'corn syrup solids' are a controversial ingredient (read more about it here) that I definitely try to steer clear of. I wouldn't recommend this product.

Where to buy: Fortinos

Ingredients: filtered water, soy protein (isolate, whole soybeans), cane sugar, corn syrup solids, fructose, canola oil, tricalcium phosphate, potassium citrate, natural vanilla flavour, brown rice syrup, dipotassium phosphate, magnesium phosphate, salt carrageenan, zinc gluconate, ascorbic acid, niacin, pantothenate, riboflavin, vitamin B6, vitamin A, thiamine, folacin, vitamin D2, vitamin B12.

Nutrition Facts
Serving size: 1 cup
Calories: 140
Fat: 4g
     Saturated: .6g
     Trans: 0g
     Omega-6: .6g
     Omega-3: .2g
     Monounsaturated: 2g
Cholesterol: 0mg
Sodium: 110mg
Potassium: 380mg
Carbohydrate: 21g
     Fiber: 0g
     Sugars: 12
Protein: 6g
Vitamin A: 10%
Vitamin C: 4%
Calcium: 30%
Iron: 8%

It's too bad that this soy milk has to go on my 'do not buy list'. Sure, I'll still review the other 'So Good' products for the sake of this blog, but after that, no way I'm buying this brand again. The 'corn syrup solids' is a no-no for me. Also, the website only cites the soy protein as GMO-free and doesn't address any other ingredient.

The nutritional profile isn't bad. It has healthy fats, no cholesterol, and a nice amount of calcium. However, the sugar content is a little high.

Check out the So Good recipe page here. Among others, it includes a recipe for Frozen Soy Pops and Vanilla Custard.

Other flavours (all vegan, gluten-free):
Brand:
  • Non-GMO soy protein (but not necessarily non-GMO corn-based ingredients)
  • Vegan
  • Gluten-free
  • Controversial ingredient used: corn syrup solids

No comments:

Post a Comment