Monday 17 December 2012

Restaurant Review: Applebee's

Applebee's (vegan-friendly)
Overall Rating: 3.5/5
Summary (quick 'n dirty): friendly, attentive staff. Clean environment. Good flavours, okay presentation of my entree. Older, senior crowd (for a Friday night!). Not enough food (I was hungry). Not enough potatoes (really hungry). Not enough variety of vegetables for altering the dish to vegan. Positively speaking, everything perfectly seasoned. Potatoes were perfectly soft and tender (not mushy).
Menu
Price: entree ($15.99)

Address: Brampton, 60 Biscayne Crescent, L6W 4S1 (map)
Hours of operation:
Sunday to Thursday 11:00 AM to 10:00 PM
Friday to Saturday 11:00 AM to 11:00 PM



Items ordered:
Grilled Dijon Chicken & Portobellos from the 'Under 550' menu selection
"Marinated chicken breast grilled and topped with roasted red peppers, red onions, Portobello mushrooms, Dijon sauce, and aged cheddar cheese. Served with steamed herb potatoes and fresh seasonal vegetables."
This was modified to exclude the meat and dairy ingredients. Instead, I requested more veggies and mushrooms.

The final dish, after veganization, was really like getting 2 side dishes. It wasn't the size and scope of an entree. I got about a 3/4 cup of broccoli and red peppers in a little dish (cooked nice and lightly, not over-done). And the "main entree" was about a cup of mushrooms, red peppers, green peppers, and onions. There was about 1/2 cup of baked potatoes. That's it. Half a cup. Explain this! How do you replace chicken with 1/2 cup of baked potatoes? I was really displeased. It would have seemed like more of an entree if there were (a) a wee bit more potatoes and (b) more variety of veggies added, not simply adding more of what was already supposed to be in the dish. Like, what about carrots? Beets? Peas? Nuts? Zucchini? I suppose I should have requested it, so it's sort of on me as well :p

I'm grateful that our server was very open to switching it up for me and she was more than happy to attempt to veganize any meal that I was interested in. That counts for a lot.

No comments:

Post a Comment