Sunday 9 December 2012

Review of 'Luna and Larry's Coconut Bliss' Dark Chocolate

Coconut Bliss --  Dark Chocolate (vegan)
Overall Rating: 3.5/5
Summary: This hits the chocolate spot! I can actually have a recommended serving size and feel satistfied afterwards (this is very odd for me). It`s slight bitterness is balanced perfectly with sweet and the flavour is very rich. My only qualms were that there were no add-ins and that it was a wee bit icy. I had to let it melt for a few minutes. I'd recommend this for you dark chocolate lovers. My my, this brand sure is growing on me.

Where to buy: Fortinos

Ingredients: Organic Coconut Milk (Organic Coconut, Water, Guar Gum*), Organic Agave Syrup, Organic Fair Trade Cocoa (processed with alkali), Organic Vanilla Extract.

Nutritional Information
Serving size: 1/2 cup
Calories: 220
     Calories from fat: 120
Fat: 14g
     Saturated: 12g
     Trans: 0g
Cholesterol: 0mg
Sodium: 10mg
Total Carbohydrate: 23g
     Dietary fiber: 2g
     Sugars: 15g
Protein: 2g
Calcium: 2%
Iron: 10%

Ah yes, when I read the ingredients, I realize just how excited I am to try every flavour with no feelings of guilt. The ingredients are all organic! Add to that how awesome the brand is (see below), and how can I resist buying every flavour?!

The nutritionals are also pretty good -- there's a lot of saturated fat because of the coconut, however not all saturated fats are created equally and coconut offers many nutritional benefits as a result of its fat. Read more about the benefits of coconut fat in 'Coconut Oil Benefits: When Fat Is Good For You' by Dr. Joseph Mercola in the Huffington Post. You can be happy about the calorie count -- 220 for 1/2 cup is pretty dang great!

I so badly wanted to make a protein shake using some of this 'ice cream' but I finished it before I got the chance :)

Other flavours (all vegan):
Brand:
  • USDA Organic
  • Certified by the Non-GMO Project
  • Gluten-free
  • No Cholesterol
  • All but 3 flavours are kosher (Mint Galactica, Chocolate Walnut Brownie, and Ginger Cookie Caramel)
  • Recyclable containers
  • BPA-free
  • Cacao grown by fair trade certified cooperative in the Dominican Republic
  • The xantham gum in the two cookie flavors (Ginger Cookie Caramel & Chocolate Walnut Brownie) is derived from corn.
  •  Ecologically- and ethically-minded
  • Read about community and sustainability initiatives here

1 comment:

  1. Danette May Found The Recipe Of Here Superfood Cacao Bliss

    This Cacao Bliss tastes amazing and has health benefits too! I’m on my second jar and plan to order many more!

    ReplyDelete