Tuesday 4 December 2012

Review of 'Parnoosh' All Natural Pitted Dates

Parnoosh -- All Natural Pitted Dates (vegan)
Overall Rating: 4/5
Summary: These are the best dates I've ever had (well, I've only ever had 3 brands in total). They're sweeter than other brands and have a sugariness to them that's just awesome. It has a very, very thin shell that's slightly crisp and gives way to a juicy, super tender and soft interior. These are so good, that I could actually have them for a dessert and be satisfied. That's how sweet they are! And no matter how long the dates are kept, they remain delicious! I'm just a bit disappointed that I couldn't really find much information about the Parnoosh Company, so I deducted points (for instance, as it's not organic, I can't confirm whether pesticides were used). Bummer.

Where to buy: Freshco




Ingredients: sayer dates.

Nutrition Facts
Serving size: 6 pieces (40g)
Calories: 140
Fat: 0g
     Saturated: 0g
     Trans: 0g
Cholesterol: 0mg
Sodium: 0mg
Carbohydrate: 33g
     Fibre: 3g
     Sugars: 28g
Protein: 1g
Calcium: 4%
Iron: 6%

As a health-conscious eater with a massive sweet tooth, dates are *always* in the pantry. They're just essential for baking cakes, muffins, cupcakes, cookies, and all sorts of desserts. It's a great substitute for sugar and my family can't even believe that some of my baking creations are sugar-free!

You can check out some recipe suggestions on the official Parnoosh website (e.g. Stuffed Salami Wrapped Dates!).

Brand:
  • Not much information available about the company on the website.

11 comments:

  1. so, we don't know if they are genetically modified or contain pesticides?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for bringing this up. No, there's no way to confirm based on the website information. "All Natural" really means very little. If it was certified organic, it would be a different story. I will adjust the score and add a line on that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love these too! I found your post while looking for recipes to use these delicious lil guys.
    Any baking tips Diana?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I emailed the company at one point because I actually found a long hair in the middle of the dates. They never responded which is kind of shady to me. Another thing is that I've been buying these for a year or so and I noticed that the quality of the dates varies greatly at times. Sometimes they taste moldy but that might be a result of something else I ate though. But in any event, they could use some quality control. I also wonder how clean they are considering the hair I found. They could have been dropped on the floor for all I know. But whatever the case they are absolutely delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just called the company, and they said these dates are grown with pesticides :(

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aww. Why do they require pesticides on dates? The things grow way up high in those trees, is that really necessary? Well I think I am going to switch to another brand. I had a feeling they were too good to be true. Thanks for giving us an update!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have been buying Parnoosh dates for years and have found the quality of their dates does vary and it is getting harder to find them that way. I found them dry and kind of moldy tasting once. I tried sending a comment about it on their poorly set up website but no luck. So I called them and was given their email but as of 3 days have not got a response?

    It seems customer service is not their concern or the quality of their dates several grocery chains have replaced the dates with other brands so maybe its time to try something else that you can trust. I informed them that I will keep my bills and return any bad dates back to point of purchase. What a shame that they don't respond to customer concerns or complaints?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Since I first posted here, I no longer eat Parnoosh dates. I bought three containers and they were dry and tasted like they had been contaminated with petroleum. It was really, really bad. I returned them to the store for a refund. I have since moved on to an organic variety from Costco which are far superior.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Really a great addition. I have read this marvelous post. Thanks for sharing information about it. I really like that. Thanks so lot for your convene. coconut oil pulling

    ReplyDelete
  10. Just for the record, true organic means gmo and pesticide free, as though it being natural. The "organic" label is misrepresented in the marketing ploy.

    ReplyDelete