Friday 14 September 2012

Review of Nile Spice's 'Lentil Soup Mix' and 'Lenil Curry Couscous'

Nile Spice's -- Lentil Soup Mix (vegan)
Overall Rating: 4.5/5
Summary: salted to perfection, hearty and *very* filling, chunky, creamy, oh gosh, so good.The lentils had the perfect little chew to them, the spices were rich and the textures were suited perfectly.

Where to buy: Fortinos

Ingredients: lentils*, tomato powder, carrots*, spices, potatoes*, natural flavour, spinach, salt, onions*.
*dehydrated

K, c'mon, how often do you find a food product with 9 ingredients these days?

Nutritional Facts:
Serving: 1 contained (52g)
Calories: 190
Fat: 1.5g
     Saturated: 0g
     Trans: 0g
Cholesterol: 0mg
Sodium: 700mg
Carbohydrate: 36g
     Fiber: 11g
     Sugars: 3g
Protein: 11g
Vitamin A: 70%
Vitamin C: 8%
Calcium: 8%
Iron: 20%

Okay, I care about fiber the way an 80 year old cares about fiber so the fact that this has ELEVEN grams is awesome. Who doesn't appreciate a good bowel passing in the morning? Best way to start your day off right heheh...and who doesn't appreciate some poop references when discussing foodstuffs?....

...it also has 11g of protein! I try to get at least 70g of protein per day because I normally workout 4-5 days/week, so this is another great plus. It is a tad higher on the sodium scale than I normally opt for, but the added benefit of 70% vitamin A (which I sometimes have a problem getting enough of) and 20% iron totally makes up for that.

Salt lovers beware though because you can't taste the high sodium! It's actually a lot less salt than I think the average person would prefer. I actually feel that the subtle salt enhances the flavours and texture by allowing you to savour them more without the distraction of saltiness.

I definitely recommend this product...try it! You can find this at Fortinos (just bought it today). I actually didn't see it there before, so it may be a new product offered there.

Nile Spice's -- 'Lentil Curry Couscous' (vegan)
Overall Rating: 4.5/5
Summary: ah, the couscous was perfect after brewing for five minutes (as directed)...not too soggy and not too chewy. I really enjoyed the tomato flavour and the spices were really complementary. The only thing I would have added was a wee bit more heat (as a pepper lover).


Ingredients: couscous (durum wheat semolina), lentils*, tomato powder, natural flavour, carrots*, spices, salt, onions*, parsley*, spinach*, silicon dioxide.

*Dehydrated

Nutrition Facts:
Serving size: 1 container
Calories: 200
Fat: 1g
     Saturated: 0g
     Trans: 0g
Cholesterol: 0mg
Sodium: 680mg
Carbohydrate: 39g
     Fiber: 7g
     Sugars: 4g
Protein: 9g
Vitamin A: 40%
Vitamin C: 10%
Calcium: 4%
Iron: 15%

I was really keen on trying the other flavours after having had such a great experience with the Lentil Soup and I was again impressed. Again, the only thing I would have preferred was more peppery heat. I think most people will be content with the flavour despite the heat because much like my relationship to desserts, my relationship to pepper is equally unhealthy. When I eat spicy food, I want it to be so spicy that I'm sweating and sniffling by the end of it. I want slimy nose-runnings and sweaty shirts...

...it does have a great nutritional profile, with 9g protein, and 7g fiber, AND low-calorie. The only downside is the above average sodium content. Oh yeah, AND the boost of vitamins A and C...and iron. See, it's difficult not to like these! I'm definitely committed to this product and will be buying these regularly.

 Other Nile Spice flavours:
  • Minestrone couscous
  • Parmesan couscous
  • Potato Leek Soup
  • Black Bean Soup
  • Chicken Flavoured Vegetable Soup
  • Split Pea Soup
  • Sweet Corn Chowder
  • Minestrone Soup
  • Red Beans 
  • Rice Soup
Brand:
  • All-natural
  • Part of the Hain Celestial Group

No comments:

Post a Comment