Monday 17 September 2012

Review of 'Covered Bridge' Sweet Potato with Sea Salt *and* Cinnamon Sugar

'Covered Bridge' -- Sweet Potato with Sea Salt (vegan)
Overall Rating: 3.5/5
Summary: deliciously sweet and savoury, BUT I didn't enjoy the oily aftertaste. The chips are definitely oilier than I like and I wouldn't buy these again because of this. I do appreciate that they are healthier than most chips available in the grocery store...but still, too oily for me.

Where to buy: Bulk Barn, Heatherlea Farm (Caledon), Homesense, Winners, Agram Meats (Georgetown), Ontario Natural Foods Co-op (Mississauga), Jubilee Market (Oakville)

Case of 13 Sweet Potato Chips with Sea Salt/Une caisse de 13 grands sacs des croustilles de patates douces au sel de mer-142g

Ingredients: sweet potato, canola oil, sea salt.

Nutrition Facts:
Serving: 35 chips
Calories: 280
Fat: 17g
     Saturated: 1.5g
     Trans: 0g
Cholesterol: 0mg
Sodium: 70mg
Carbohydrate: 29g
     Fibers: 2g
     Sugars: 3g
Protein: 2g
Vitamin A: 40%
Calcium: 2%
Iron: 8%

I bought these at a farm about 40 minutes from Brampton. They had a little shop with produce and packaged snack foods. I love going to these little places...so many unique products to try! And it's a nice little mini-roadtrip on a summer weekend.

So the texture of these chips was decent...it had a crisp, but wasn't as crispy as other chips I've enjoyed (e.g. Kettle Brand chips), but no biggie--it was crispy enough. The oiliness was my main issue. The flavour was great!!! Sweet and perfectly salted and intensely sweet potatoey, but again, I could taste the oil afterwards and I didn't care for that. No sir, I did not.


'Covered Bridge" Sweet Potato Cinnamon and Sugar (vegan)
Overall Rating: 3/5
Summary: I enjoyed the flavour of this because it had a slightly burnt/smoky taste, but unfortunately I still got that oiliness that I didn't care for. I wouldn't buy it again because of this.

Case of 13 Cinnamon & Brown Sugar Sweet Potato Chips/Une caisse de 13 grands sacs des croustilles de patates douces à la cannelle et à la cassonade - 142g

Ingredients: sweet potato, canola oil, brown sugar, organic evaporated cane juice, spice.

Nutrition Facts:
Serving: 25 chips
Calories: 270
Fat: 16g
     Saturated: 1.5g
     Trans: 0g
Cholesterol: 0mg
Sodium: 35 mg
Carbohydrate: 29g
     Fiber: 3g
     Sugars: 12g
Protein: 2g
Vitamin A: 40%
Vitamin C: 10%
Calcium: 4%
Iron: 6%

I was excited to try these because I thought they might have been similar to the Stacy's The texture was a medium crisp like the Sea Salt flavour (I prefer a big crunch). The flavour was a bit of a letdown because I was anticipating something like Stacy's (my fault, really).

A big plus is the nutritional values of these snacks. They are high in vitamin A and have a decent amount of protein and fiber, so no guilt ought to be felt indulging in these. I'm sure most people would find these chips delicious but I'm just really averse to oil foods (taste-wise and bowel-wise. So, if you are a sweet potato lover and comfortable with oilier foods, then I'd recommend these :)

Brand:
  • 100% cholesterol free
  • Gluten free
  • Trans fat free
  • Produced with GMO free Canadian canola oil

No comments:

Post a Comment