Tuesday 25 September 2012

Review of 'Glutino' Strawberry Breakfast Bars

'Glutino' Strawberry Breakfast Bars (vegan)
Overall Rating: 4/5
Summary:super duper soft and tender outer and a very sweet, very strong strawberry flavour makes this a yummy snack. The only downside is the high sugar content and the fact that the bar isn't as filling as I'd like.

Where to buy: Fortinos, Bulk Barn

Coupon from official website (requires Name, Address, Email) (US only)

10-1018M Breakfast Bars Strawberry



Ingredients: strawberry filling (sugar, glucose, apple powder [calcium stearate], white grape juice concentrate, water, strawberries, glycerine, canola oil, citric acid, pectin, sodium citrate, fruit and vegetable extract for colour, calcium chloride, flavour), chick pea flour, corn flour, fructose, pear juice concentrate, raisin paste, inulin, canola oil, tapioca starch, white rice flour, water, cinnamon, sodium bicarbonate.

Nutrition Facts:
Serving: 1 bar
Calories: 160
Total fat:3g
     Saturated fat: .3 g
     Trans: 0g
Cholesterol: 0mg
Sodium: 50mg
Total carbohydrate: 30g
     Dietary fiber: 3g
     Sugars: 13g
Protein: 3g
Calcium: 2%
Iron: 6%

For your average person just looking for a sweet snack, this is a great bar...simply delicious, especially for strawberry lovers (strong strawberry flavour!). However, for those like me who are committed to maximum protein intake and regular strength training, this bar simply doesn't have enough protein for me...so basically I'd totally eat it if someone else in my household bought it *but* I probably won't be buying this again for myself.  I'd prefer a protein bar, which has comparable sugar levels but greater protein and fiber yeilds (also vitamins and minerals!).

The bar reminded me of fig bars, which I love! I really liked that there was the perfect amount of filling and it was sweet enough to balance the subtler outer layer (which was still pretty sweet!).

Other flavours (all vegan):
Brand:
  • Only the Chocolate Peanut Butter Organic Bars, Chocolate Banana Organic Bars and Wildberry Organic Bars are organic.
  • Only some products are non-GMO (find the list here)

No comments:

Post a Comment