Saturday 22 September 2012

Review of 'Belsoy' Organic Chocolate Soy Pudding and 'Lotus Fine Foods'

Belsoy -- Organic Chocolate Soy Pudding (vegan)
Overall Rating: 5/5
Summary: I honestly have no complaints...it's super smooth, thick, and creamy in texture and the flavour is absolutely perfect. I can't think of any way to improve this product. Buy. It.

Where to buy: Fortinos
http://asset6.wellmedia.ca/i/497e2665943da22a22aa0f38a7fb836a_ra,w158,h184_pa,w158,h184.jpeg
Ingredients: filtered water, certified organic raw cane sugar*, certified organic soybeans* (6%), certified organic wheat starch*, certified organic fat-reduced cocoa*, certified organic maltodextrin*, stabiliser: seaweed extracts (carrageenan), sea salt, certified organic natural vanilla extract*

*from organic farming

Nutrition Facts:
Serving: 1 container
Calories: 120
Total fat: 2g
     Saturated fat: .5g
     Polyunsaturated fat: 0g
     Monounsaturated fat: 0g
Cholesterol: 0mg
Sodium: 80mg
Potassium: 0mg
Total Carbohydrate: 21g
     Dietary fiber: 2g
     Sugars: 12g
Protein: 4g
Calcium: 3%
Iron: 10%

I picked this up at Fortinos for the second time because it's that scrumptious. Besides that though, the nutritional profile is impressive for a chocolatey snack. The ingredients are very clean and kept to a minimum. It's low-calorie and high on nutrition with 4g protein, low sodium, and 10% iron.

The texture is so perfect--it's thick and creamy and really satisfying. The flavour has great chocolatey depth and a gentle sweetness that I wouldn't change, even as a sweet fanatic. I added a tablespoon of granola (reviewed below), which added complexity and crisp to the texture--so nice :) :)


'Lotus Fine Foods' Cranberry and Cinnamon Quinoa Granola (vegan)
Overall Rating: 3/5
Summary: I was expecting a really sweet granola mix, so I was sad that this was just a medley of great nice and flavours minus the sweetness. I would have preferred clusters with honey or some natural sweetener and a bit more tenderness in the cranberries. I also found the cinnamon to be too subtle.

http://lotusfinefoods.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/Gluten-Free-Breakfast-Cookies.jpg

I couldn't find a good picture of the product online so I'll try to remember to take one myself and post it. This picture is from the Lotus Fine Foods official page and offers a recipe for Gluten-Free Cookies that I think would actually be quite tasty.

Ingredients: Quinoa, sesame seeds, sunflower seeds, flax seeds, agave nectar, sunflower oil, apple juice sweetened cranberries, cinnamon.

Nutrition Facts:
Serving: 1/4 cup
Calories: 150
Total fat: 9g
     Saturated: 1g
     Polyunsaturated: 0mg
     Monounsaturated: 0mg
     Trans: 0g
Cholesterol: 0mg
Sodium: 2mg
Potassium: 0mg
Total Carbs: 16g
     Dietary fiber: 3g
     Sugars: 4g
Protein: 4g
Calcium: 6%
Iron: 8%

Well, can't go wrong with this wholesome blend in terms of nutrition. The ingredients are natural and pure and it's got a healthy dose of protein and fiber. It's a nice add-on for puddings and cereals and would work well for baking.

I found the texture was pretty good, except for the dried cranberries, which were hard and too chewy. I would have preferred a fresher, softer, less chewy and more tender cranberry experience. The flavour was good, though because it wasn't what I expected or prefer. The lack of sweetness was accompanied by a strong tartness in the cranberry. I would prefer a more subtle tartness so that it would pair better with puddings and other desserts.

I believe I picked this up at Home Sense but my memory's failing me right now. It was either homesense or a farm just outside Brampton.

Other flavours (all vegan):
  • Coconut & Cherry Quinoa
  • Hot Quinoa Cereal
Brand:
  • Non-GMO
  • Organic

No comments:

Post a Comment