Saturday 22 September 2012

Review of 'Kashi' Whole Wheat Biscuits Cinnamon Harvest

Kashi -- Cinnamon Harvest (vegan)
Overall Rating: 4.5/5
Summary: this is the perfect cereal for breakfast because it's light (but surprisingly filling) and not too sweet. The texture is awesome--probably the best part for me. The only thing I would have liked was a stronger cinnamon flavour.

Where to buy: US and some parts of CA (not sure if you can buy this in Ontario; you can purchase online and it's well worth it)

Hero


Ingredients:organic whole grain wheat, organic evaporated cane juice, organic cinnamon, natural cinnamon flavour.

Nutrition Facts:
Serving: 28 biscuits
Calories: 180
Total Fat: 1g
     Saturated fat: 0
     Trans: 0
     Polyunsaturated: .5g
     Monounsaturated: 0g
Cholesterol: 0mg
Sodium: 0mg
Potassium: 170mg
Total Carbohydrate: 43g
     Dietary fiber: 5g
          Soluble fiber: 1g
          Insoluble fiber: 4g
     Sugars: 9g
Protein: 6g
Iron: 8%          

So clearly, this is a super wholesome cereal...very clean and basic ingredients and very nutritious (low-cal, fat, cholesterol, NO sodium, great fiber content, and good amount of protein).

I got this from the US so I'm not sure if this particular cereal Kashi is available in local grocery stores.

I usually have this cereal with So Nice Unsweetened soy milk, but my brother and mom actually just have it dry as a snack...And these two usually prefer sugary, low-nutrition cereals, so imagine my surprise when they both gushed over it! I actually prefer my cereal slightly soggy (weird?) instead of crunchy, so I usually let it soak in the soy milk for a little while before digging in. This changes the texture from crunchy to tender chews mmmm...SO good! I never thought 'wheat biscuits' could ever taste this good!

The only downside was in flavour--I found the cinnamon was a little too subtle for my liking. Also, I do prefer my cereals to be very high in protein (at least 8g would be ideal), so I would probably wouldn't buy this flavour on the regular (but only for this reason!)

I think adding some nuts or extra cinnamon may be realllly good...maybe walnuts! Crushing it up and adding it to yogurts and/or puddings would also be great.

Some people also crush this cereal up and use it for breading and in dessert recipes. Since it has an A++ for texture, I'd gather that it's really versatile for cooking and baking.

Other Kashi cold cereals:
Brand:
  • "Nine of our foods are now officially Non-GMO Project Verified including Autumn Wheat, Cinnamon Harvest, Island Vanilla, Strawberry Fields, 7 Whole Grain Flakes, 7 Whole Grain Puffs, 7 Whole Grain Pilaf, Simply Maize and Indigo Morning." (kashi.com)
  • Phasing out GMOs: "That's why today Kashi announced a big initiative to increase the company's availability of organic and Non-GMO Project Verified foods. By the end of 2014, all existing Kashi® GOLEAN® cereals and Kashi® Chewy Granola Bars—representing Kashi's biggest offerings—will be Non-GMO Project Verified. Beginning in 2015, all new Kashi foods introduced into the market will contain at least 70 percent organic ingredients and will also be Non-GMO Project Verified" (read article here).
  • "The soy in Kashi cereals comes from soybeans that have had a gene inserted to protect the soybeans from the herbicide Roundup, which kills, weeds," according to USA Today (read article here).

2 comments:

  1. This is great! I'm glad I stumbled upon this blog. And I didn't know kashi was non-GMO. I also live in Brampton and I'm looking forward to finding more non-GMO stuff to make my diet even better.

    Best wishes
    C

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Cintia, really good to hear such positive feedback! I try to post on the GMO status of each product I review, usually in the 'Brand' section at the end of the review.

    ReplyDelete