Thursday 24 October 2013

Review of 'Nice and Natural' Cranberries & Cashews

Nice and Natural -- Cranberries & Cashews (vegan)
Overall Rating: 4.5/5
Summary: really big, juicy cranberries and raisins; a tangyness that's not too strong; moist and chewy; makes only for a light snack, so don't expect to be full in an hour! Highly recommend!

Where to buy: to be determined...



Ingredients: cranberries (apple juice infused), cashews, almonds, agave nectar, raisins, tapioca syrup, whole grain crisp brown rice, flax seeds, sunflower oil, sea salt, natural flavour.

Nutrition Facts
Serving size: 1 bar
Calories: 150
Fat: 7g
     Saturated fat: 1g
     Trans fat: 0g    
Cholesterol: 0mg
Sodium: 45mg
Carbohydrates: 20g
     Fiber: 2g
     Sugars: 12g
Protein: 3g
Calcium: 2%
Iron: 8%

This is a yummy bar...sticky, but yummy. The ingredients are all wholesome and it's pretty low calorie so I never feel bad snacking on these. It's a nice, light snack and very sweet, so if you're having a craving, this'll do the trick. There is only 2g of fiber and 3g of protein, but it's delicious and low-calorie enough for me to recommend and healthier than your average snack bar.

Brand:

  • Made in Canada
  • Registered trademark of Shandiz Natural Foods, since 1988
  • Eco-Cert
  • USDA organic
  • Family owned and operated corporation
  • BRC Standards Certification
  • Non-GMO Project Verified
  • Vegan
  • Certified Kosher
  • Gluten-free

4 comments:

  1. Hi Diane, after viewing several of your reviews on your blog as well as on Mfg's sites, I have come up with a question you may be able to answer. I am an 85 yr old pre-diabetic and addicted to good bread (German heritage), but trying to get a way from anything made of wheat. So I am buying Spelt bread w/wild rice Dimpflmaier brand. But it says it has wheat in it. It is of course ancient wheat anyway. Would you know the Glycemic Index GI of this item ? My e-addy is parego@niagara.com.TX !!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Bertold. Thanks for reading my blog and for your question. Unfortunately, I don't have specific info on the spelt bread w/wild rice from Dimpflmeier. However, from each of the 6 websites I checked, the estimates for spelt breads range between 60-88 (http://whfoods.org/genpage.php?tname=faq&dbid=32).

    I know that the same brand also makes the following wheat-free breads:
    - Organic - 100% Rye Bread with Flaxseeds
    - Organic - 100% Rye Bread with Sunflower Seeds
    - Organic - 100% Rye Bread with Whole Grain
    - Organic - Unsalted 100% Rye Bread

    Hope this has been helpful to you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Diane, Your efforts on behalf of answering my question are so much appreciated and I thank you for the information. I will admit that I have been aware of the Rye bread versions of Dimpflmeier's Organic breads, and I am tempted to switch to Rye, as the ancestrial bonds to wheat disturb me. For a bread addict, this is a real conundrum. What to do and not raise blood sugar beyond acceptable readings ?

    ReplyDelete
  4. My pleasure :)

    I would recommend whole-grain barley (so, versus ground whole grains) or rye, which help to regulate blood sugar levels. Monitoring your body's reaction to these will be important. You can figure out exactly what your limits are.

    ReplyDelete