Wednesday 29 August 2012

Review of 'Florida's Natural' Stiks

Florida's Natural -- Stiks (vegan)
Overall Rating: 3.5/5
Summary: this was a treat that actually provided significant nutritional value, making it a great kiddy snack. It's definitely not an overly-exciting 'grown-up' snack, but I'd definitely reach for it if I knew I neglected my daily intake of Vitamin C. It is very sweet, but definitely not overly sugary like similar snacks--you could actually taste the individual flavours (though the flavours were more subtle than I would have preferred).

Where to buy: Sears, Shopper's Drug Mart, Pharma Plus

Ingredients: 68% FRUIT INGREDIENTS (CONTAINS CONCENTRATED PEAR AND/OR CONCENTRATED APPLE PUREE, CONCENTRATED FRUIT JUICES (APPLE, PEAR, ORANGE, STRAWBERRY, BLUEBERRY, ASORBIC ACID {VITAMIN C})), RAW CANE SUGAR, TAPIOCA STARCH, RICE SYRUP, CITRIC ACID (FOR TARTNESS), NATURAL FLAVOURS (ORANGE, STRAWBERRY, BLUEBERRY, APPLE), SODIUM CITRATE, MALIC ACID, PECTIN, PURPLE CARROT EXTRACT, COLOUR.

Nutritional information:
Serving: 1 unit
Calories: 35
Fat: 0
Cholesterol: 0
Carbohydrate: 9g
Sugars: 5g
Vitamin C: 40%

The ingredients are pretty decent (nothing too scary!) and unlike most kiddy snacks, it's actually relatively low in sugar and provides a nice portion of vitamin C.

I tried the Strawberry and Orange flavours and they were distinct from one another. It could have used more 'strawberry-ness' and 'orange-ness' to provide a bigger slap in the face of flavour. With that said, I do appreciate that it was not all sugary flavour and I could actually taste the fruits.

I still have to try the Blueberry and Green Apple flavours and will try to remember to update this post with my impressions.

I was a bad girl today and didn't get in my regular workout, so I was happy to have this low-calorie (35 cal) treat. If I didn't have it to munch on, I would have probably reached for wayyyy too much chocolate.

I've been reflecting lately on whether anyone is actually reading/enjoying these posts and would love to get some feedback at some point!

*Update*
 So I tried the Blueberry (finally!). I found that it smelled good and blueberry-licious but didn't taste very blueberry-licious until the aftertaste kicked in.

Also, I realized that these are a little too sticky and chewy for me as an adult. I suppose they're meant for kids who tend to not give a crap about stickiness and chewiness.

The Green Apple had a more authentic flavour. The sourish apple taste was prominent but I think I'd opt for the Blueberry even though it wasn't 'actually' true to the flavour.

Brand:

No comments:

Post a Comment