Friday 3 May 2013

Review of 'Silk' Original Soymilk

Silk -- Original Soymilk (vegan)
Overall Rating: 3.5/5
Summary: very good--lightly sweet, cool and refreshing. Tastes fresh...I would have originally rated this 4/5, but I realized that it's not labelled 'organic.' I'd recommend Silk's Organic Unsweetened (reviewed here). You can always add your own sweetener (e.g. honey, sugar, syrups). Also note that carrageenan has been linked to cancer in animal studies (here more about it here).

Where to buy: Where to buy: Fortinos, Bulk Bar, Longos

 Silk Original Shelf Stable Soy Beverage

Ingredients: Filtered Water, Natural Whole Soybeans, All Natural Evaporated Cane Juice, Calcium Carbonate, Sea Salt, Natural Flavours, Carrageenan, Vitamin A Palmitate, Zinc Gluconate, Vitamin D2, Riboflavin (B2), Vitamin B12.

Nutrition Facts
Serving size: 1 cup
Calories: 100
Fat: 4g
     Saturated: .5g
     Trans: 0g
     Polyunsaturated: 2.5g
          Omega-6: 2g
          Omega-3: .3g
     Monounsaturated: 1g
Cholesterol: 0mg
Sodium: 120mg
Potassium: 300mg
Carbohydrate: 8g
     Fibre: 1g
     Sugars: 6g
Protein: 6g
Vitamin A: 10%
Calcium: 30%
Iron: 10%

Yeah, so the ingredients are nothing special, really. But the nutritional profile is decent. It's low-calorie, low in saturated fat, and has some good healthy fats. The sodium is a wee bit high for me, but I'm pretty happy with the calcium and protein content.

I probably won't buy this product again. I'd stick to the Organic Unsweetened by Silk...still wary of that carrageenan though, so I'll keep my eyes peeled for alternatives.

Other Soymilk flavours (vegan):
Brand:

No comments:

Post a Comment