Monday 17 February 2014

Review of 'Casbah' Rice Pilaf

Casbah -- Rice Pilaf (vegan)
Overall Rating: 3.5/5
Summary: I added slightly too much salt, so I take some responsibility for the bias in rating. I liked. it for a good side dish. I added mushrooms and it was a nice combination. I would likely buy this again, though I do wish it had more fiber. It would have made for a more well-rounded nutritional profile. Overall, I'd definitely recommend this product.

Where to buy: Bulk Barn, buy online, I think Walmart



Ingredients: rice, whole durum wheat pasta, yeast extract, dehydrated onions, salt, spices, silicon dioxide, sea salt, dehydrated garlic, canola oil, natural flavours.

Nutrition Facts
Serving size: 1/5 pkg
Calories: 140
Fat: .5g
     Saturated: 0g
     Trans: 0g
Cholesterol: 0mg
Sodium: 450mg
Carbohydrate: 30g
     Fibre: 1g
     Sugars: 0g
Protein: 4g
Vitamin C: 2%
Calcium: 2%
Iron: 10%

The ingredients are great--simple and wholesome. I'm not 100% sure if the canola oil used is non-GMO. Points for anyone who can help to track that down! The nutritional profile is just not that great...it has a solid 4g of protein, but only 1g of fiber. It's also very high in sodium and not very vitamin or nutrient rich.

Other Pilaf varieties:
Brand:
  • Hain-Celestial Canada
  • No MSG
  • All Casbah varieties are vegetarian, made with 100% animal-free ingredients only

No comments:

Post a Comment