Sunday 16 December 2012

Review of 'Continental' Dark Chocolate

Continental -- Dark Chocolate (vegan)
Overall Rating: 4.5/5 3.5/5 I had to revise this rating after I tried the chocolate again last week. I noted a slightly artificial aftertaste that I hadn't noticed before. Bummer! Still pretty good, though.
Summary: mm, much better than I anticipated. After all, I did pick it up at the Sears outlet store for $1.00! It isn't at all brittle or overly hard. It gives a creamy, very sweet chew with a subtle bite of darkness/bitterness. I would recommend this--it's inexpensive and a much healthier choice than your regular chocolate candy bars. I probably wouldn't buy it again simply because I prefer buying brands that are more transparent and more engaged with consumers.

Where to buy: Sears outlet

Ingredients: chocolate liquor, sugar, cocoa butter, soy lecithin, and natural vanilla flavour.

Nutrition Facts
Serving size: 6 pieces
Calories: 200
Fat: 12g
     Saturated: 7g
     Trans: 0g
Cholesterol: 0mg
Sodium: 5mg
Carbohydrate: 21g
     Fibre: 3g
     Sugars: 20g
Protein: 2g
Calcium: 2%
Iron: 40%

For 6 pieces, 200 cals is pretty darn good. It's got a hefty dose of sugar, but you could go halfsies and opt for 3 pcs at 10g of sugar and 100 cals. It's a great source of iron and a pretty great source of protein and fibre. This bar is a much better bet than your average candy bar (e.g. no trans fatty ingredients. no cholesterol, dark chocolate). It would make a great chocolate frosting, I think. Imagine melting it with coconut milk and frosting a chocolate cake!

Other flavours:
  • Milk Chocolate
  • Extra Dark Chocolate
Brand:
  • Unfortunately, I could not locate *any* information on this product online. Is that even possible?? Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
  • From the wrapper, I gathered that it's imported by 'Premier Brands' 77 Nantucket Blvd., Toronto, ON, M1P 2N5
  • Product of Germany

No comments:

Post a Comment